The use of CI4+ delivers a substantial weight saving on the compact Ultegra body making rod speed easier to generate when distance casting. To further increase casting performance the Ultegra uses 2 Speed Slow Oscillation line lay and an AR-C spool fitted with the new Hi-Speed Drag mechanism. Cold Forged HAGANE gearing and X-Ship produce powerful winding performance and 5 Stainless A-RB bearings plus a Shimano Roller bearing deliver supreme smoothness. The reel is protected according to Shimano’s latest innovation X-Protect which will guarantee to protect the reel’s inner parts against intrusion from water and dirt. The G Free Body in combination with the Parallel Body will help the angler to achieve long and accurate cast without unnecessary fatigue throughout the day. The new Ultegra CI4+ has a very compact body design which contributes to the feel of a compact and lightweight big pit reel.
- Bearings: 5 S A-RB + 1 RB
- Max drag: 15kg
- Handle: single machined aluminium
- Spool material: cold forged aluminium
- Aero Wrap II – Aero Wrap and the advanced Aero Wrap II is a worm gear ascillation system with a specially designed pitch to create optimal oscillation speeds. This provides superb uniform line lay to reduce loss of energy during the cast. Aero Wrap II is considered one of the best line lay system in the world.
- By combining Shimano water repellent coating and Shimano specially designed, water channeling, labyrinth construction, X-Protect provides high-level water resistance without sacrificing light gear and rotor rotation.
- CI4+ is an advanced version of the original CI4. This highly technical carbon material maintains 2.5 times more rigidity than CI4. While improving lightness and rigidity, the body and rotor are further reduced in size and weight.
- X-Ship system provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in the same position under the heaviest loads. The added benefit is that friction between the spool shaft and gear are eliminated. This will enhance the casting performance of the reel with lighter lures, and allow for longer casts.
- 2 speed oscillation
- G Free Body technology has been developed to shift the reel’s center of gravity closer to the rod. By moving the center of gravity closer to the anglers hand position, the G Free Body helps to reduce fatigue and enhance casting comfort.
- Parallel Body is designed to improve dynamic line flow from the reel to the first guide. On many reels the spool is aligned slightly upwards towards the rod blank, but with Parallel Body it is at exactly 90° to the blank. The result is less line slapping the blank as it travels towards the first guide during casting.
- High Speed Drag is the fastes drag function ever featured on a Shimano reel. Only very small turn on the drag knob will transit the drag settings from “free spool mode” to the “fight mode”.
- Hagane Cold Forged Gears. With amazing strength and durability, the HAGANE Gear is at the very heart of the reel. Shimano, through the application of state-of-the-art technologies, gives you the long-lasting smoothness and pleasure that you feel when you first use a reel, over and over again. No cutting work is applied to the teeth of the drive gear. Instead the entire surface is calculated in minute detail by special 3D design and then formed by Shimano’s cold forging technology. The result is assured resilience. It’s the fruit of Shimano’s inexhaustible pursuit for durability; the strength and power of forged metal continues to represent the fundamental concept of Shimano reels.
- Waterproof drag
- Spare spool
- 2 line reducers
- Ratio 5.3:1
- Weight 440g
- Line capacity (approx) = 230yds of 16lb (210m of 0.40mm) line, 0.30mm – 390m line
As an Amazon and Ebay Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Till next time …
Disclosure – if you buy anything using links found in this blog post, I may make a small commission. It doesn’t cost you any more to buy via these affiliate links – and please feel entirely free not to do so of course – but it will help me to continue producing content. Thank you for support.
THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my posts with your friends and social media.
This video was not paid for by outside persons or manufacturers.
No fishing tackle or bait or anything was supplied to me for this video.
The content of this video, photos and my opinions were not reviewed or paid for by any outside persons.